Thursday, December 29, 2005

Bubbe and Me

Mom and Sabina in MOnterey

On Tuesday, my Bubbe and I went to Berkeley to see two plays at the Berkeley. The first play was Comedy on the Bridge. It was all right but I didn’t like it because it was during a war between two countries and there were bombs and they made a lot of noise and holes. One of the characters was Popelka who was trying to go over the bridge because she wanted to se Sykos, her boy friend. She had to show her visa to a sentry who was guarding the bridge so she could get on, but when she got to the other side, the sentry from the other country wouldn’t let her off. She was stuck on the bridge. Other people got on the bridge and they were stuck too. There was only one funny thing in the play. Two big fat fish came down the aisles and one was in the river (From back stage to front stage).

The next play was Brundibar and it was funny. First, a brother and sister, Pepicek and Aninku, needed money because their mother was sick and she needed milk. They went into town where Brundibar lived. Brundibar was an organ grinder. He was a lot bigger than everbody else because he was on stilts, but you couldn’t see them – only at the end. The adults thought he was cool but the kids didn’t. He was mean to kids. Pepicek and Aninku weren’t able to get milk because they didn’t have money and nobody would help them. During the night, while the other kids were sleeping in their houses, Pepicek and Aninku had to sleep in the street. A funny cat, a funny sparrow and a funny dog said they’d help them. The sparrow was held by a strap and cables and she could fly. The next day all the kids in town got together to sing a lullaby to ask for money for milk for Pepicek’s and Aninku’s mom. The kids got the bully out of town because they all worked together.

Brundibar was written by Hans Krasa, a Jew who was later sent to Theresienstadt, a Nazi concentration camp. Children in the concentration camp performed this opera many times. What the Nazis didn’t know was that the bully the kids kicked out of town was supposed to be Hitler.

After the theater, we drove into San Francisco after my Bubbe got lost in Oakland. The hotel was cool because I could buy postcards there for 49 cents each! After we checked into the hotel, got settled into our room for a while, we went to a Chinese restaurant. I ordered chicken wings, prawns, vegetable chow mein, sweet and sour sauce. My grandma got walnut prawns and fried rice and our drinks were diet cokes. After that, we went to the ice cream shop and I got bubble gum ice cream that had real bubble gum inside. Small ones! While I was eating, we went walking to Fishermen’s Wharf and Pier 39. We saw a big humungous Christmas tree with big humungous ornaments and presents at Pier 39.

After that, we went to the Aquarium of the Bay. We got tickets and we went up and escalator to the entrance. We saw lots and lots of fish behind glass. Then we took an elevator way down below the Pier. We walked through two glass tunnels and we saw different kinds of animals that live under the bay. We saw leopard sharks, bat rays, star fish and other fish. Then we went up the elevator and I got to get so wet. I had a souvenir. We got to go through a petting zoo, but in water. I petted something slimy, like bat rays and sand rays and a leopard shark. The leopard shark felt a little bumpy but it was fine. I petted a lot of star fish. They felt bumpier than the leopard shark.

We then went back to the hotel and I watched Alice in Wonderland on my mini-DVD player. The next day we took a Cable Car to Sears Restaurant for breakfast. We sat on the bench in the front and it was raining and windy – the rain was in my face. Sears was great, I loved it. I drank hot chocolate and ordered sour dough French toast with strawberry syrup with real strawberries and maple syrup. Sears is by Union Square. While we were walking to Nordstrom’s we saw a Menorah and a Christmas tree at Union Square. In Nordstrom’s, my grandma and I went up all the escalators. It was cool because there were a lot of escalators and I kept on beating my grandma up the escalators. After that, we took the cable car back to Fishermen’s Wharf, walked around and I sat in a mud puddle when I was trying to get close to the ocean. The last thing we did in San Francisco was chalk painting.






Best Hanukkah Gift Ever!

1 comment:

miricaro said...

cute pictures:)