Sunday, June 21, 2009

Hatchet - What Would I Do March 2009

Fire. What do I know about fire? I think. Missions, Club Penguin! Paper! I set off some find some stray paper. Down by the lake two things catch my eye. A snake and some newspaper. The only bad thing is that the snake is on the newspaper. Do I know anything about distractions? Loud noises. I find a huge rock and throw it and it makes a loud CRASH! The snake moves swiftly towards the noise and I move as fast as my legs can carry me and I grab the paper. Then I run back home. Home, I think, I call it home now.

I start hammering on the rock after I place the paper on it. The sparks caught on the paper, but it needs something more. Tree bark! I remember reading about tree bark I my How to Survive the Wilderness book. It said to roll tree bark in to a little ball. Outside, I see dead trees with bark hanging off of them. I grab as much of it as I can and put it on the shelter floor. I do this about five times. I feed some to the fire. I have enough to last for a while.

I think about the searchers. People have to be searching for me, right? Maybe they would find me if I moved somewhere different. Tomorrow I will put all of my possessions in my pockets. It’s getting dark and I have not been bitten bye a mosquito. The fire must be like a shield. No worries. I will think about this in the morning. Now, it is time to sleep.

Bye lake, birds, bears, berries. Bye home. I set off for the big hike and I didn’t stop for 1 hour. It is tough work. Then I find an open area and rest for an hour. Off in the distance, about ten miles from here I see a light. I head for it. I run as fast as I can and I am all tired out when I get there. It is a little town! I look around for a pay phone and call my dad. Turns out he is only an hour away. Now all that’s on my mind is The Secret. Is she with him? What are they doing? How will dad react? The Secret.

When dad pulls up he get’s out and starts hugging me. I try to get into the car as soon as I can. “Hey girl! How are you? Are you O.K.? I have been worried sick about you”, says dad. “I am fine.” I say. But you won’t be, I add in my head silently. “Are you hungry?” “Yes, starving”, I say “Pizza?” “Pizza it is” says dad. My insides are getting tighter. I want to throw up. I have butterflies in my stomach. I know what I have to do. “Dad, I do not know how to say this, but I need to tell you something.”

No comments: